Saturday, March 11, 2006

"Too Good for Practice"

Nezumi Mouse Shino chawanThat was the opinion handed down by Sensei when I showed her my Nezumi "mouse" Shino chawan.

I was so proud to show her my cute little tea bowl, but it seemed like I saw a momentary expression cross her face, like a nervous parent might have when the toddler starts running around with the Baccarat. It must be very old, she said, because there is no maker's signature. "furuimono desu" - antique thing it is, and she showed me how to wrap it up nice and snug in it's little paulownia box. She told me it should only be brought out for a special occasion, like when I'm giving a formal chaikai (tea party).

I love this little tea bowl...it makes me kind of sad to think I can't use it all the time. Is once a week too much?

1 Comments:

Blogger chamekke said...

What a beautiful little chawan - Ido style, I think? It's hard to leave the beauties for special occasions. Maybe you can just use it quietly whenever you like...

Great find!

December 13, 2006 2:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home